Monday, February 7, 2011

The Gospel of Christ is the Power of God unto Salvation

Today I get to learn more about how important Jesus Christ is to me and the importance of his heritage. I also am trying to learn how I can not be ashamed of him and how to avoid sin. 

All the Scriptures I included have links to the www.lds.org which is the official Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints version of the scriptures online - This includes the King James Version of the Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. You can access the footnotes there and many study helps. If you want to know more about a topic you can also use the search bar to see what the Living Prophet, Current Apostles and church leaders have said as well as past Prophets, Apostles, and church leaders.  You can also access Church documents that may give more light on the subject you desire to know more about.

Please if you have more understanding, please share it with me.  I want to learn from others knowledge of the scriptures and the insights they receive from the Holy Ghost - Which testifies of the truth of all things.

Jesus is both the Son of God and the Son of David. 

Romans 1:3-4 


3Concerning his Son aJesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the bseed of cDavid according to the flesh;
 4And adeclared to be the bSon of God with cpower, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection dfrom the dead:
From this scripture alone is it hard to tell why it is important that he is the son of David.  As far as I understand Jesus being a son of David meant that he was rightful heir over the jews. Him being the son of God means he is the rightful heir of everything that is God's  - Which is - well everything.  I would love to understand more as to what is the importance of being the seed of David.  
31And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name aJESUS.
 32He shall be great, and shall be called the aSon of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the bthrone of his fathercDavid:
This seems to be more indicative to the fact that David was the ruler of Jews so Christ would also be ruler of the Jews - Fulfilling the prophesy in two ways that he is king of the Jews. 
23And aJesus himself began to be about bthirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of cJoseph, which was the son of Heli,
 24Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
 25Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which wasthe son of Nagge,
 26Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
 27Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
 28Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
 29Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which wasthe son of Levi,
 30Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
 31Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
This give a genealogy of the Savior and how he was indeed a decedent of David by his father Joseph, or more his caretaker in this world.  This was interesting to learn as I thought that he was a descendant of David because of Mary - Which I think may also be the case, but I am unsure. 
In what ways can the Lord rightfully rein because of his heritage? 
I am not totally sure of what the appropriate answer would be to this question, but I have a few ideas.  One is that he has the right as the son of God AND the rightful king of the Jews to give commandments.  He can also rightfully say he is the King and therefore proving even more so his innocence at the time of his death, as he never lied about who he was as being Son of God and King of the Jews.  
Why is it essential for the Savior of the world to be both mortal and immortal?  
17Therefore doth my Father alove me, because I blay down my life, that I might ctake it again.
 18No man ataketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I havebpower to lay it down, and I have cpower to take it again. This commandment have I dreceived of my Father.
As we can see from this scripture that Christ had to be mortal so that he was able to die, but immortal that he not only does it willingly but also that he has power to take up his life again - Or be resurrected, and thereby opening the gate that all may be resurrected as according to Heavenly Father's plan.  
How did Paul feel about the gospel? 
15So, as much as in me is, I am aready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
 16For I am not aashamed of the bgospel of Christ: for it is thecpower of God unto dsalvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
 17For therein is the arighteousness of God revealed bfrom faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by cfaith.
 18For the awrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, bwho chold the truth indunrighteousness;
 19Because that which may be known of God is manifest ain them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
 20For the ainvisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made,even his beternal cpower and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:


We can see how Paul felt about the gospel from this scripture.  This is what I thought he was saying.  
1. He was READY to preach it, he loved it and wanted to share it with others
2. He was not ashamed of it! 
3. He knew that it contained the power of God and that by following the gospel all could return back to live in the presence of God - Or gain salvation. 
4. He knew that the truth and righteousness of God could be found in the gospel 
5. He knew that power of the gospel was accessed by fath
6. He knew that he could see the invisible things with the gospel - or the matters of heart and spirit. 
7.  Real power is contained in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 
In what ways can you show you are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ? 
This is hard for me at times.  I also think there is a balance of respect for others who do not believe as I do and bearing testimony of what I know is true.  One way I show I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to feel proud of the life Heavenly Father prompts me to lead.  I can not be ashamed by refusing to do things that are against my standards.  I can be kind to those who others would have me put down, and act as the Savior would.  I can not be ashamed by being willing to skip out on praise I would have received when I choose things the Savior would have me do, even if they make me look less impressive or receive less glory.  In these instances I can act confident and not embarrassed or defensive of my choices. 
What are some sins listed in Romans chapter 1 that are still a problem today, why do people say they commit these sins? 
21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were athankful; but became bvain in their imaginations, and their cfoolish heart was ddarkened.
 22Professing themselves to be awise, they became fools,
 23And changed the glory of the auncorruptible God into anbimage made like to ccorruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
 24Wherefore God also agave them up to buncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
 25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
 26For this cause God agave them up unto bvile caffections: for even their dwomen did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their alust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
 28And even as they did not like to aretain God in theirknowledge, God bgave them over to a creprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, awickedness, covetousness, bmaliciousness; full of envy, murder, cdebate,ddeceit, malignity; whisperers,
 30aBackbiters, haters of God, bdespitefulcprouddboasters, inventors of evil things, edisobedient to parents,
 31Without aunderstanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of adeath, not only do the same, but bhavecpleasure in them that do them.
Sins of Today listed in Romans 1 and possible excuses why I would (do) commit them
1. Not being thankful for what God has done - I did it by my own efforts and intelligence, my life is miserable and there is nothing to be thankful for, I am too busy to thank Heavenly Father or notice what he has done
2. Corrupt reasoning, being vain or expecting things that are worth little or impossible - I have to look good to others, Others are pressuring me to do it, I thought it was the right thing because other did it, I want to be perfect without Christ. 
3. Not listening to spiritual things - I am too busy, this is a matter of intellect, I don't want to have to do the work nessicary to listen to spiritual things, I am too busy with what I want to listen to Heavenly Father 
4. Thinking you are too wise to learn  - I already know this gospel principle, I could explain this principle better than the person teaching, I can do it myself,  that doesn't make sense with how my natural person feels, That makes me angry, that goes against what I have already learned 
5. Turning God into something corruptible - I can rely on the picture of Jesus in my house to proclaim how I feel about him, I am more concerned with outward appearances than with how I am feeling and that my heart is pure. 
6. Changed the truth into a lie - I don't want to offend so I will tweak it to make it more presentable, I don't think that is what they meant, Just reading a small quote out of context to get it to mean what I want it to, avoiding learning about new commandments so I don't have to follow them and relying on past learning and spreading that ideal. 
7. Giving into perverted affections - It would be fun, it's exciting, it's being accepting of others. 
8. Homosexuality - You can't change what you are, If you have those feelings you should be allowed to give into them, It would be exciting, it's just how I feel, I deserve to be loved and show love. 
9. Changing my natural use - I want to be sexy, I want more to like me and be envious of me, I want to retain a beautiful body. 
10. Fornication - I am not happy in my marriage, I deserve to be happy, it isn't bad, lots of people do it, it's okay if you are responsible about it, I lost control of myself. 
11. Not using my mind - It's easier to be entertained, I don't have time, it's hard. 
12. Coveting - I want that, that will make me happy, things would be better if I had what they had, their life is better than mine. 
13. debate - I want to look smart, I want to be right, I know better, my ideas are better and more true. 
14. Murder - I was angry, they deserved it, I couldn't handle it anymore (never wanted to murder anyone so this was kind of hard to come up with...) 
I didn't list all of them because the list could go on for pages and pages.  
What does it mean in verse 25 when Paul said that people "served the creature more than the creator" ? 
I think this means that people were more willing to serve their bodily desires, instincts, and wants than they were willing to serve God.  Basically they lacked self control and also lacked wanting to have self control and enjoying sinning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment