Thursday, February 3, 2011

2 Corinthians 3:1-3 "...in fleshy tables of the heart."


Today I am learning about what it means to write the teachings of Jesus Christ in my heart. 
Click on the links in the quoted scriptures to get the footnotes found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints version of the scriptures.



1Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as someothers, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
 2Ye are our aepistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
 3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, awritten not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in btables of stone, but in cfleshy tables of the dheart.

What does it mean to have doctrine or commandments written on the "fleshy tables of the heart?"  
My first thought on this would be that it would be a principle of want for obedience that goes deeper than the shallow sayings or outward appearance of good.  Outwardly we can write or say anything.  If we have something written on the fleshy tables of our heart we KNOW that it is true and important.  We are willing to follow that principle or commandment no matter who is looking or what we perceive the consequence is of doing so.  We do it because we love God and not for the praise of men or even for the blessings that are promised from Heavenly Father.  My teacher provided some scriptures to help shed further light and knowledge on the subject of having something written on the fleshy tables of the heart. 
"Ye have not applied your ahearts to bunderstanding; therefore, ye have not been wise. Therefore, what teach ye this people?"
This scripture tells me that many things of the gospel of Jesus Christ cannot be discerned or understood by your mind a lone.  It is a matter of heart, meaning you need to listen the spirit or the Holy Ghost in order to come to a complete understanding of the commandments and principles in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You cannot apply them to your life for earthy reason, but for eternal reasons. 
"And now I read unto you the remainder of the acommandmentsof God, for I perceive that they are not written in your hearts; I perceive that ye have studied and taught biniquity the most part of your lives."
I think if a commandment is written on your heart you will always remember it and not stray from it.  This partly comes from knowledge of the commandment but also a desire to posses that knowledge.  I read a scripture early today in the Pearl of Great price where Abraham was an example of someone who had the commandments written on his heart.  He knew some commandments but desired to know more know commandments so that he could keep all the commandments of God.  What would it be like to have such a desire to serve God to want to seek out more commandments to keep?!?! I know I have never done that, and sometimes when I hear a commandment, or am yet again reminded of a commandment I have forgotten I wish I had never heard it so I could continue living in blissful ignorance! But how much wiser was Abraham, for he knew the source of true happiness, and that is following the teachings and principles taught by the Lord Jesus Christ.   That scripture is found in  Abraham 1:2
"And, finding there was greater ahappiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same; having been myself a follower of brighteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great cknowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to possess a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many dnations, a prince of peace, and edesiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a fHigh Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers."
"But this shall be the acovenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my blaw in their inward parts, and write it in their chearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people."
To me this scripture means that the Lord will help the law be meaningful to the people so they can keep it and also with an inspiring promise that when they do so they shall be his people.  However, I wasn't really sure  as to what this meant as I find it hard to understand the old testament because I am very unfamiliar with Mosaic and law and language.  If anyone else had more insight, I would appreciate it. :)
"And I did read many things unto them which were written in the abooks of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet bIsaiah; for I did cliken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our dprofit and learning." 
I thought this scripture taught that for something to be written on your heart you would need to fully believe it, be able to apply to yourself, and learn about it.  This can be done by reading about the principle learning as much as you can, applying it to your own life, and then coming to a point where you know and believe on that principle.  
What are ways to have a commandment of doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ written on the fleshy tables of our hearts?  
I was also given some scriptures to help better understand this principle.  I am grateful for, because they are the words of God.  I also feel it is important to glen from solid doctrines as much as possible . 
"Jesus answered them, and said, My adoctrine is not mine, but his that bsent me.
 If any man will ado his bwill, he shall cknow of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."
This scripture is simply stating - Do it.  When we learn a new principle one way to know if it be of God is to try it out.  We can know it is true by the happiness we feel as we do it.  This is the Holy Ghost testifying to us that it is true.  When truth is proclaimed or done, the Holy Ghost cannot be restrained. This is one way to etch that principle on your heart.  
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, apray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true bfollowers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall cbe like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be dpurified even as he is pure. Amen."
Another way is to pray to have Heavenly Father help you get it there.  I do this often as I know that my efforts alone are very insufficient in enabling me to be righteous.  Gratefully I know Jesus Christ suffered the atonement and wants to and has the power to enable me to do many great things I am not able to do of my own power.  Often times I learn of a principles - Such as serving with happiness and being a cheerful giver - that I need to have strength for the Lord in order to do.  It takes effort still on my part but I know that with prayer and effort Christ often enables me to accomplish my righteous desires. 

What is a doctrine that is written on my fleshy tables of my heart and how did I get there? 
I don't know if I can say that any doctrine is truly written on the fleshy tables of my heart, for a I am a heart hearted servant who is quick to forget and slow to remember. I am very fickle and often times will serve faithfully only to fail on that principle at another time.  I can say some things I find very important to me and know are important. 
1. Service to others - When I have done service for others I feel the warmth in my heart and happiness that comes from this.  I also have prayed to Heavenly Father to have him help me be willing and able to serve others with cheerfulness. 
2. Paying Tithing - I have practiced this and have been blessed for it, that is how I know it is a correct principle.  
3. Prayer  - This is a mixture of the ways you can come to know a principle is true.  I have prayed in tribulation - acted, and received strength and comfort and also have prayed for testimony during a hard time and received it. I know that whatever we ask God in faith and with pure intent we shall receive because it has happened many times to me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment